10 Ways to Wake Up by H.M. Jones
The following poetic expression is an exercise I was asked to do in a writer's retreat on Whidbey Island. I will post a few more over the next few days.
1. A slobber-slick slap to the cheek. Tears spilling out of fearful eyes, afraid of the monsters she can't see. Throw an arm of comfort over skinny sibling body, fall back into dreams with a boney knee to the back.
2. Passion Fruit lotion announcing best friend before she plops, unceremoniously, into your bed. Warm weight, spring-bouncing morning person nonsense jostling you from dreams.
3. An urgent, hushed nudge. A scared shake-awake. Brokenly whispered words of tragedy. Soul-shattering. Wish I was asleep.
4. Overhead stomp of neighbor's iron boots. Voices like glass grinding blenders. How long until drinking again is not over-drinking? Head pounds behind dry eyes. What did I do last night?
5. Barely slipped into dreams when the rustle of new-born baby limbs jolt you awake. Go back to sleep...Go back to sleep, please! Howls of hunger. Painful, hot burning breasts too overfull. Tiny cold fingers like groping icicles on a chest. She drinks, eyes plastered to yours. Sleepless dairy queen.
6. Alarm bells chime. Time to start the grind! Cruel sun shining on eyes weary of seeing. Listless, fumbling legs. Why even wake? Why even wake?
7. A kiss brushed on drip lips from weekend sleep in. Warm leg tossed carelessly over tangled sheets. Smell of you and me, familiar and deep.
8. Inspiration! THE. BEST. WORDS. YOU. WILL. EVER. PUT. TO. PAGE. Wake! Wake! Before it's too late.
9. A demon sits inside my chest. Limbs numb. Full of dread. Eyes open wide, unspeakable fear. Not a heart attack. Breathe. Breathe. Nothing to fear. Pins and needles as it passes. Anxiety leaks from stiff fingertips, still gripping the sheets. Until slowly, too slowly, release...
10. A million, possibly more, doves live in my rafters. They wake me from a distant memory of hands like warm shower water, running down my back. Lips tickling the nape of my neck. I thought doves were the messengers of peace. Oh well, nature calls...
Leave a Reply.
H.M Jones is the author of B.R.A.G Medallion Honor and NIEA finalist book Monochrome, its prequel Fade to Blue, the Adela Darken Graphic Novellas, Al Ravien's Night, The Immortals series, and several short stories.